A Moment of Brilliance

Again, it's that time of the year when people in UTP flock to the library or lock themselves in their rooms in a last-minute dash to cram as much as they possibly can into their heads. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it is the examination period once more.

It's strange that I should feel totally unprepared for these examinations..

I enjoy watching students scurry about during this trying time; the final stretch before the finals begin and test how you've been doing the whole semester. The usually-deserted library is packed to the maximum and people go in and out, in and out, in and out.. the commotion is notably suppressed, but the thrum of conversation is still there, nonetheless.

This semester has been.. strange. The absence of a mid-semester break has left me wanting, struggling to stay afloat even as others are convinced I've my head comfortably above water. I was so close to cracking - if it weren't for the merciful one week Hari Raya holidays, I swear I would have gone mad from the sheer amount of work to be had.

Now I'm in the Student Representative Council, Promotion and Publication Executive Committee (Exco) as the Assistant Head (or Exco II). The study week was marked by gaming sessions (!), studying, and preparations for the Council's Annual Raya Open House (held yesterday night).

It went well, though I must say it leaves a lot to be desired, including a humongous turnout that was mostly there for the free food, rather than the introduction of the new Council for 2007/2008. I'll bet they couldn't have cared tuppence about who organized the damn thing, so long there is free food to be had. Not to mention many of them were very rude as well when we took the trouble to serve them food!

Regardless, it was a success nonetheless, and there were a sporting number of well-wishers who offered congratulatory messages, and even hung around after the event to help us clean up. Somehow, I was more than happy to have these guys and girls around who actually show us genuine support, rather than being so apathetic as to care about just the food.

That aside however, I have a daunting challenge in this first week of exams with four papers to deal with: Object-Oriented Programming, Accounting, System Analysis and Design, as well as Health, Safety and Environment. It's strange that I should feel totally unprepared for these examinations, considering I have been doing quite a bit of studying (though not lately).

Perhaps it's just the tension of having to take examinations, eh? I'm looking forward to the period immediately after these two weeks of six papers, 'cause by then, it'd be the holidays, and I can relax and unwind! Well, relax and unwind at least for a short while before the next semester begins. Since I'm in the Council I've to be back to handle the Orientation Week for the new intake of students.

Life's never dull when you're a busy, successful student it seems! *winks*

1 comments

Leave a Comment
top